Friday, October 23, 2009

Intros?



So maybe I should have had a like introductory section or something, before just diving right into this thing.
My name is Stephanie & I'm 23. I decided to make this blog because I really wanted to start a burger blog. I've been reading so many of them lately & I was thinking "You know, I like burgers. I should do that." But then it occurred to me that I'm too picky to write a burger blog.
See, here's the thing, I LOOOVE burgers, but it really depends what's on it. I don't like onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc...so what else is there really to put on a burger, you ask. Trust me, there's plenty. I know I'm a big baby & that if I even TRIED these things I would probably like them, but after 23 years if it hasn't happened yet, it aint gonna happen. So then I thought, well I also really like beer, & I'm starting to know more about it, so why not a burger/beer blog? So that's the birth of this. It's not really so much all the things I ingest, just the burgers & beer.

So now I know I got you intrigued to what is my DREAM burger. I really hate to say it, but a chain restaurant totally holds this title. At Cheeseburger in Paradise, it's all about the Barbecue Cheddar Burger. First off, my burger must ALWAYS be medium rare; love a pink center. Then with the melted cheddar, & the barbecue sauce, & fried onion strings, & the pickles. Mmm. It's so good. Super messy, but super tastey. Now, I know you're saying, "Wow Steph, that's really original," (sarcastically, obviously) but hey, I like what I like. I will take a barbecue cheddar burger any day of the week.

So...what got me started on this burger quest? There's only one man responsible for that, & that would be my father, Mr. Tom Bowen. I know he's my dad & all, but this guy is a great cook & probably one of the coolest people I've ever met. He can make the simplest thing probably the best meal of your life. He's turning vegetarians back since 2008. (haha little inside joke there, but it did happen.) & who would be the one to get him started but his mom, my lovely grandmother. Some of my first memories are from my grandparents house, eating their famous "alligator" burgers (didn't really mean anything, that's just what my grandma called them.) So throughout my short time, I guess you can say I've had my share of burgers. Whether they were from McDonald's, "alligator" burgers, Bubba Burgers (one of my personal favorites), or even some wimpy ass sliders, they have all powered me to where I am today, sitting here, typing this, with a burger skull & bacon-bones on my leg.


Yea, I know it's funny. That's why I had to have it. (I actually found the picture on an article for fat America haha!)



So where does beer come into this?
Well, I've been reborn. I was your average, underage girl, drinking what every other person in the world drinks right? Bud Light. Little did I know. It took until I met my fiance that she started introducing me to what we like to refer to as GOOD BEER. I mean, I was so used to my High Lifes & PBRs, I really had no idea there was such a vast world of beer out there. So needless to say, we've gotten pretty into craft beers, especially anything from Vermont. We took a trip last year to Vermont & got to go to a couple of the breweries (Long Trail, Magic Hat, Rock Art, 3 Needs, Vermont Brewing Company,) & it was amazing. Truly inspiring. People out there put such love & dedication into their products, & that's everything throughout the state, not just the beer. But after tasting how good beer can be fresh, we knew that we had to start homebrewing. I'm not even going to sit here & act like it's me brewing the beer, it's my girlfriend. I'm a wonderful helper, but it's definitely all her. I mean, we're not pros or anything, we've only done one brew so far, but I see this as something we'll be doing into our old age. If you're in need of a new hobby, I would definitely suggest reading into this. If you are, I'd pick up Microbrewed Adventures by Charlie Papazian. It gives you a good insight into the world of homebrewing, & gives you tastey recipes too.

So I don't want anyone thinking that I'm some kind of pro, or that I think I am. I know I don't know shit. I know I'm learning. I'm trying to broaden my horizons, so hopefully I can, & I'll try to keep track of my trials & errors.

I'm always open for suggestions too, so if you can recommend a place or beer for me to check out, e-mail me!

Well, that's probably as good as an intros gonna get. Hopefully I'll be eating burgers soon so I have something to write about!


No comments:

Post a Comment